- Mentored new designers and developers who want to move into the tech industry.
- Helped Black Valley launch their first marketing site using Webflow.
- Took part defining the course programme structure for all participants.
Detailed work description
In 2020 I joined Black Valley to help support their mission to bring about equity in the tech industry for those in the black community.
I was part of the steering group for the initiative, helping to decide what the programme should consist of and how it would work. I also enabled Black Valley to work with VerifyEd to issue verifiable credentials to their participants upon completion of the course, and I designed and created the first iteration of the Black Valley marketing site using Webflow.
After the course was ready for people to begin taking part, we had our first cohort join the programme.
Since then, I have mentored a few very talented people (a mixture of designers and developers) in a number of cohorts who are beginning to make their first steps into the tech industry.
We have gone through a wide breadth of industry topics, including:
- Finding the right problems to solve
- Planning design work
- Low-fidelity and high-fidelity design
- Usability testing
- Software development best practices and challenges
- CV reviews and networking suggestions